Social media in schools provides a powerful tool for communicating with parents and students, supporting student learning in the classroom and opening up professional learning opportunities for teachers. From personal experience using social media platforms on a daily/weekly basis to do these things including Facebook, Twitter, Podcasts, You Tube, blogs and closed platforms like Edmodo support us to:
- bring parents into our classrooms
- help parents to support their children
- engage students with content
- provide reminders and homework tasks
- answer questions students have when they are working from home
- join learning networks with like minded people and find new ideas to trial in our classrooms
- consider opinions of educators that have differing opinions making us think in different ways.
Listen to Professor Stephen Heppell discuss his views on social media in schools.
Professor Stephen Heppell – “One of the most influential academics in the field of technology and education globally”.