Social media in my classroom

The use of tools like Facebook and Edmodo (a closed social network) have helped me to improve the way that I interact and communicate with students and their parents. I have been using Facebook since 2013 and Edmodo from the start of this year in my classroom. Both have been valuable inclusions to the way I work and while Facebook and Edmodo have some striking similarities both play very different roles in my classes.

{EA5FC40F-2D89-43D3-8853-2A0EF330B22D}_Edmodo

I use Edmodo to:

1. provide a central location for uploading and downloading assessment tasks.
  2. provide a central location for resources (sorted into folders) including documents, weblinks and videos (there is no storage limit in Edmodo).
  3. provide a place for students to submit completed assessment tasks and for me to provide feedback.

Edmodo – Create folders to store unlimited resources for students and teacher to access

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 5.34.32 pm

Edmodo – Store, assess and feedback comments and grades to students

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 5.01.19 pm

Edmodo – Create posts, assignments, quizzes and polls

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 5.37.36 pm

facebook+button-logo

I use Facebook to :

1. create closed groups for my students and parents – Yr 12 PE (student group), Yr 11 PE (student group) and Year 7-10 HPE (parent and student group).
  2. provide parents with programs, assignments & content term by term (7-10 HPE group).
  3. provide parents with text, images or video of what is happening in lessons (7-10 HPE group).
  4. to remind students of upcoming class events and due dates (i.e. We are doing the beep test today don’t forget to bring a change of clothes).

Facebook – Sharing information with parents about what is happening in the classroom

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.16.54 pm

Facebook – Communication with Year 12 students

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.34.22 pm

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.36.20 pm