In the video below Dylan Wiliam gives his tips for changing practice. For the most part not new or earth shattering but a good reminder of how we should approach our professional learning.
Teacher tips for changing practice
- Accept the need to get better.
- Change is slow. Focus on 1-2 things at a time. Make them second nature.
- If you have to remember to do it it is not second nature.
Tips for leaders to help teachers to improve
- Create a culture where every teacher expects to improve.
- Keep the focus on the things that make a difference to students.
- Give teachers the time to innovate and try new ideas.
- Create a culture of risk taking amongst teachers.